Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A quick break



I'm almost caught up on my word count for the month, yeah! Being friends with Becky has really helped motivate me; I check her word count update everyday, and when I see it jump in front of me, I make it my goal each day to catch up to her. It really helps me get through the times when I'm lost, unsure of how to get my characters from point A to point B. At least it doesn't have to be neat for now-it's more about getting the raw structure of the story on the page. Revisions and edits and rewrites can wait until December. 



But I took a break today to go riding, and what a day it was! A beautiful fall day, not too cold, no rain at all, and a lot of friends to listen to and share with (and who put up with my need for good conversation). I got to meet a new endurance rider, Melinda, who bought a horse from Brenda, Dazzle, and I had a blast. Ms. Dazzle is a flashy Tennessee Walker, and man can she gait! She had not trouble at all keeping up the the Arabians at the trot, and she was so smooth. In the midst of the springy, spooky, and young horses, Dazzle was the whatever mare who took everything in stride, and even when we passed a noisy tractor she was calm. (If you can't tell, I'm already in love with this mare!)



We visited McIver State Park, which has clear, mostly non-mud pit trails all year, and is absolutely beautiful with amazing views of the Willamette River. There were also some trail obstacles that were a lot of fun to watch everyone work over, and I almost embarrassed myself at the gate (seeing as how it's been many years since I've opened and closed a gate while mounted). Grace, Brenda's gorgeous up and coming personal endurance mare, is doing really well on her training. Despite a kick and a few spooks, there were no major disasters, and a few more trail miles in a group added to her register. 



All in all, it was a beautiful fall day with friends, so thank you all, and I can't wait to ride with you again! It was a perfect way to recharge and help me add detail to my story, so....back to Word I go!


No comments: