Long before Kaeden was born, I started to make a list of all the gear I would need to successfully raise a baby. On this list were the normal things, like diapers (cloth at that time) clothes (for some reason naked babies are frowned upon in public) and wipes, along with things you wouldn't expect on a gear list, like "Grow a brain" and "Become a financial planning whiz" (five points if you know which gear I've yet to get).
The first piece of baby related gear Tristan and I purchased was a really awkward baby carrier. I don't think I ever actually used this with Kaeden in it.
It's that thing hanging with the stuffed animals in it. Here's a better picture:
When my parents arrived with their open hearts and mountain of baby gear, some that we wouldn't use for months, included was a Moby wrap. While socked in for a long haul of a Vermont winter, this became my go-to carrier for quite awhile once I figured it out. It was warm, and soft, and secure, and quite nice when Kaeden weighed less, because I could snuggle him as much as I could and keep him warm and cover him with kisses. So many kisses. However trying to get that thing on over my giagantor breastfeeding boobalas in any parking lot anywhere just plain sucked. I never could get it on right without it dragging on the ground, which in Vermont winter is a mixture of dirty snow, fresh snow, boots that have been mostly on the farm, and road salt.
Once we moved to Oregon and the summer started to heat up, Kaeden was also older and wanted to be able to move around and see more and I never figured out how to tie the Moby in such a way to make him happy. Also the material started to stretch the heavier he got so it didn't feel quite as safe.
Also it was not nearly as fashionable, and when he wasn't in it I felt like the biggest dork in the world.
In the middle of the summer I sold the Moby to a friend and picked up a Jeep carrier, basically a knock off of the Baby Bjorn style carriers. I hated it. I hated the way it made my back hurt, I hated the design of the carrier so that he was always drooling and chewing on it, I hated the way he just kind of just hung from it all dangly, and he couldn't really move in it.
Towards the end of the summer, after I had done extensive research for a more hiking friendly carrier, we found a great deal on Cragislist and sprung for a carrier everyone could use, the Sherpani Rumba Super light. This one was an instant hit in my family, adjustable to be comfortable for everyone, with plenty of room for storage for longer hikes. Unlike most of the other hiking style carriers, this one carries the weight just like a traditional back pack: close to the body, with the weight distributed really well. The only drawback to this pack is it is a bit awkward to get into, and it's a bit large for everyday, grocery shopping and other errand running chores. It is excellent for longer hikes, enough so my mother doesn't mind using it and bringing Kaeden along with her less strenuous hikes.
Please ignore the fact that we, Kaeden's clueless parents, went for a hike, in public, with Kaeden still in his PJ's. This was towards the end of the summer and I had just begun clawing my way out of my postpartum depression.
My mom did let Kaeden out of the carrier during this hike. While Kaeden was in the carrier, her dog Roofus was a complete gentleman and friendly greeter dog to other people on the trail-in short, his normal redonkulous doggie self. When my mom took a break and let Kaeden crawl around on the ground and a few hikers walked by and wanted to greet the adorableness that is my son 24/7 (minus a few moments, okay a lot of drama filled moments) Roofus became a big protective German Shepard and wouldn't let anyone near HIS baby. He growled and gave people the stink eye and herded Kaeden away from the people until the left and Mom popped Kaeden back in his pack, then he became goofy Roofus again.
We also tried the jogging stroller my parents had bought, but it took him a long while to grow into it and my parents have since sold it. We used a basic Graco stroller for awhile, but Kaeden never really took to it. We also currently have a basic, lightweight, small MacLaren stroller, which hardly ever gets used anymore. Something in me hates strollers. I much prefer to carry Kaeden everywhere, now that I have what I really wanted.
All the while I was using these different carriers, I knew what my heart wanted. A few of my friends who had already had children (though that number was few) raved about one carrier above all others, and I rarely found a bad review of this one carrier. Most people commented about how long it lasted and how well put together it was, how simple it was to put on, how comfortable for kid and parent, and on and on.
It is all true. I can't stop raving about how much I love my Ergo. It's so very easy to put on-takes me about two seconds now. I can throw it in the wash and not worry about it. It's so lightweight, yet incredibly sturdy and well made. I can pack him around on my back and he's comfortable, and with the cushy straps I can carry him for hours and not feel hurt in my shoulders or back. When he's really upset, or really tired, I can still swing him around to the front (although this carry is getting a bit more awkward now that's he taller) and snuggle him that way (I did this a lot on our trip to Long Beach).
I wish I had more pictures of him with me and the Ergo, but I am mostly alone in my love for it, and seldom is anyone around to take pictures of him when we're at the grocery store or on walks around the neighborhood with Roofus. I am going to corner Tristan one of these days and get him to take a few pictures of us...or maybe my mom.
I have other posts coming up (for real this time) and I promise to get at least one more up before my weekend return to Medford in search of a rental house (or duplex).
I will, however, leave you with one of the BEST pictures ever taken of Kaeden Ahearn Fulford. Melt, and enjoy!














No comments:
Post a Comment