Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Torture in the form of K-9

As Tristan & I get closer to a still somewhat nebulous move out date I keep torturing myself. To be true, this is not completely my own fault. Well, yes it totally is, but it is not helped by people like Becky  or Haiku Farm (especially....both of them!) 
So after I get caught up on their beautiful pictures or sinful links, I do my own digging. What do I find?
I find Chanel, a mixed breed Great Pyrenees who reminds me of one of my college friend's amazing dog, Willow.
Willow graduating from college with Cody

I've also been looking at pit bulls, and yes, I've been doing my research beyond the hype. A couple of my friends in college had pits and they were the sweetest dogs on the planet, with a bit more up & go energy than Willow. I mean, how can you resist the face of Kyra?  Or Riley, an adoptable pit bull in Portland? 
But of course, where are the sweet, beautiful, best dogs in the world mutts? My mom's dog Roofus is a mutt-half Husky, half Shepard. 

Of course I find this: Una. The ears undo me.
Again with the ears! Oh the floppyness!
And then I just generally denigrate and I can't help myself.
He's a pit bull who thinks he is a lap dog...
A sweet older dog who would be happy to lay at my feet all day
I don't think I have an active enough life for this girl, but oh!  A girl can dream.
My love affair with the big poofy white dog continues...did you know there is a Great Pyrenees rescue based in Portland? This is a bad thing for me to know.


Someone for Kaeden to grow up with, which is really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a Major. My dog growing up was a mutt pure as they come; all we knew was that he was some kind of Shepard. He was huge (or maybe that is just a 4 year olds memory) who loved to sleep on top of me in my tiny twin bed. He was the most patient animal in the world, both with me and the Boston Terriers my aunt had. I used to harness him to my Red Flyer Radio Wagon & make him haul me & the trash up to the community dumpster and back. He followed me everywhere, and I always had a playmate, if not quite willing then at least tolerant. That is what I want for Kaeden. I don't need a Lassie, or a Shadow (if you haven't ever seen Homeward Bound or read the book you are missing out!)


I'm just looking for the perfect dog. (BTW, did anyone notice that not one of the dogs I looked at is apartment friendly, as in not under 50 pounds?) I'm looking for a dog who can be gentle around Kaeden & deal with the drooling, the tail biting, the "patting" (still at pounding stage, but getting better) the grabbing, and the high pitched shrieking, but without eating the poopy diapers. I'd like a dog that is content to sit and warm my feet while I work, but also who is energetic enough to go on a weekend hike with me, or with my mom & Roofus sometimes.
I would also like a dog that charms everyone they meet on contact, because that is a useful trait to have in a dog.
I'm really not asking for much, you know? But it is a sickness. I can't help myself. How can you resist this?
I don't want to resist her!
I can't really resist the fuzzy northern dogs...sigh.
Now this is a face I can get along with!
Just....ohhhhh.
The FUZZ!
I have to stop myself. I have to tell myself that if I get all the laundry and cooking and budgeting done after work today, that I absolutely can't drag Tristan & Kaeden down to the humane society...I can't. Really.




1 comment:

The Engstrands said...

I have a redcoat huskey/pitt mix (looks like the huskey with the stocky front end of the pitt)...i have a 5 year old who tries to play tug of war with him and ends up hitting him with the toy, i have an 8 almost 9 month old who has decided that eating/pulling his ear was the cool new thing, also pulling on fur was super awesome. hes a good dog...paperwork from vet says he is a "huskey mix" so that i could get him into apartments :D also, he is 70 pounds, but looks only 50, so i can get away with it there too :p good luck in finding the perfect pooch!

you can see my pups at www.engstrandfamily.blogspot.com