Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Dispatches from the Little Red House

Apparently trying to be a responsible "adult" blog writer isn't working for me. Between work, yard care, house cleaning, food buying and cooking and consuming and cleaning, dog care, stepping up to help more with the administrative side of the rescue, kid entertaining and care and loving, and oh yeah showering every day (not a feat I always manage, although the coffee gets prepped every single night) I start a long, meaningful, deep searching blog post...and half finish it. And leave it. For WEEKS. Until it's no longer really relevant, or I've reread it so much to edit it and realized that maybe that kinda shoulda NOT go out in the world. So I think I'll just start throwing what I have out there, because polish can come later, just to get in the habit of doing it on a regular basis and not, say, like one of my favorite bloggers. *cough Becky Bean cough hack wheeze WHY don't we have the REST of the 2013! clinic write up?????*


This past weekend has remind me in a pretty spectacular way how amazingly awesome, wonderful, sweet and truly easygoing my kid is. We were horribly busy, helping my parents get ready for the party, doing yard work, grocery shopping, house cleaning, grandparents visiting, laundry, dog sitting and walking….and not one tantrum. Not one “NO!” out of him the entire weekend. Not even a pause or an almost fit. Even though his nap and mealtimes were totally screwed up, there were so many people to deal with, and so little time to visit the park or even just watch a movie, he trooped happily, sunnily all through the weekend. 
He stayed up at my parent’s house until midnight on Friday, narrating Finding Nemo, a movie that used to put him to sleep, and guarding the giant Costco death by chocolate cake. He popped right up, bright and early and helped clean and shop and pick up the yard and watch Lady and the Tramp before finally falling asleep on me at past noon on Saturday. He didn’t complain or throw a fit when I sorta kinda woke him up to change him into cute party clothes and transport him back to my parent’s now clean and fantastically good smelling full house. 
Naturally, he provided a ton of entertainment to all the guests…in the form of refusing to wake all the way up and so sleeping under a purple blanket on my parent’s bed, still in his rain coat and shoes, so much like a log that Butter slept right on top of him. He didn’t wake up until some people had already finished desert and headed home. But his nearly five hour siesta did mean he was in extra good spirits once he woke up and devoured a huge plate of food, chocolate cake, and fruit salad, switching between various laps to do so.
He was charming while most people trickled out, then he commandeered his visiting grandparents into sitting on the office floor with him, being amazed by all his toys (this kid has so many toys. So many.)  He mostly willingly went to bed that night, despite the allure of grandparents in his house. He chilled out with me completely the next day, helped me with the tiny bit of housework I made myself do, and gamely helped me hit two grocery stores before getting ready for school, bright and early on a stupid Monday morning (all Mondays are unnecessary). 

I know I just went on what was mostly a vacation, and I should be writing about how wonderful and relaxing it was, all the rides I fit in, the amazing place I was able to stay, and just generally reveling in kid free, work free time (did you know how easy it is to shop without stopping a small blonde one from killing himself/maiming stuff/entertaining said child? Who knew?). And I am. I keep remembering the climb up the hill on the back of a good mustang, the soft fresh sheets that I didn't have to clean, the drama of a new addicting show (House of Cards, watch it!), running them over in my brain like the beads of a rosary while I stuff envelopes or crunch Excel data.
Yet another fantastic endurance rider and her veterinarian husband opened their horses, their saddles, and their ears and let me ride with them twice in as many days. As an unfortunate side effect of my job, I tend to talk any friendly person’s ears off when I’m not at work and that scares people away. I was also able to squeeze in a lesson with a dressage trainer who understood I was mainly looking for tips on “How not to be a potato sack on other people’s horses”, since catch riding is my present and future for years to come. I had less than an hour in the saddle with her, but she was amazed at how quickly I corrected and caught on to what she was saying. Her two main take away points for me are: I move my upper body too much, and to get the weight of my body on my inside leg instead of my outside ankle. And I desperately want to take more lessons on a regular basis. On my second ride with Stacy up Evans Creek (right after said lesson left me feeling weirdly wonderful despite being unable to hold two point in the correct position for more than 10 seconds) I tried switching my weight, and it as like a miracle. My ankles didn’t hurt even after some serious posting work! I was able to drive a stick shift home for six hours without any Advil or Excedrin! And walk like a normal person the next day!
Riding three times in two days was the highlight of the weekend. Keeping a small blonde child happy and entertained for the six hour drive home, stopping for potty breaks at every single rest stop, interacting with Tristan, and worrying about my son were the downsides. Also was coming home to a messy house, laundry in baskets, garden stuff shoved in the dining nook, no meals cooked and no meat defrosted. Oh, and Tristan’s parents visiting this weekend. 


I love my kid. I am not sure I say this enough, or have enough patience to remember to say it when I really need to. But tonight my kid proved, yet again, how flexible and willing he is. He stayed inside or in the backyard while I weed whacked the side and front yards, following my slow, painful, cursing, sneezing and hacking (of course I forgot to take the Zertec!) progress through the various windows. He provided hopeful, encouraging commentary from my personal peanut gallery, along the lines of, "Go mommy!" and "Almost done Mommy! We can have when you are done ice cream! Ice cream when the yard, when you are done!"
And you know what? Despite being covered in the remains of the slaughtered, helpless grass and weeds and my sweat and blood that it took to get the job done, it was worth it. My rental company won't yell at me now, my grass won't have to be cut for another week or so, and when I was done putting the tools away...we curled up in the hammock with a bowl of chocolate ice cream. Life goes on, a bit warmer now in the little red house.